1. Antoni van Leeuwenhoek was the first person in history to
2. Microbes that can live in the presence or absence of oxygen are called
3. Which of the following scientists provided evidence in favor of the concept of spontaneous generation?
4. The microbial production of alcohol from sugar is known as
5. Which of the following statements concerning Koch's postulates is false?
6. The study of the body's defenses against pathogens is called
7. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of viruses?
8. Saccharomyces cerevisiae is an example of which of the following types of microbes?
9. Proteins that promote chemical reactions in the cell are called
10. Which of the following scientists was the first to develop a taxonomic system for classifying organisms?
11. Robert Koch was involved in research on all of the following topics
12. Microorganisms characterized by the absence of a nucleus are called
13. The term ___ literally means "produces disease."
14. The study of the causation of disease is known as
15. The study of the occurrence, distribution, and spread of disease is known as
16. Short, hairlike structures used only by eukaryotic cells for movement are called
17. Which of the following is NOT a component of bacterial cell walls?
18. Endospores survive a variety of harsh conditions in part because of the presence of
19. When cells are placed in a hypertonic solution, they lose water and shrivel. This process is called
20. All of the following are common to both the Gram stain and the acid-fast stain
21. A patient suffering from tuberculosis could be diagnosed by use of the ____ stain.
22. Carbolfuchsin is the ____ in the acid-fast stain.
23. The kingdoms included in the Linnaeus system are
24. The rules of naming organisms are called
25. In the Gram stain procedure, iodine serves as a
26. Crystal violet is the _____ in the Gram stain.
27. The _____ makes use of malachite green.
28. The molecule that an enzyme acts upon is known as its
29. Pyruvic acid is a product of
30. In microbiology, the term growth usually refers to an increase in
31. Human pathogens are classified as
32. Organisms that can grow with or without oxygen present are
33. Another term for the logarithmic growth of bacterial cells is
34. During the ______ of growth, cells are dying faster than new cells are being produced.
35. Metabolic activity is at maximum level in the _____ of growth.
36. Cells are rapidly growing and dividing during the _____ of growth.
37. Microaerophiles are microbes that grow best at low
38. An acidophile thrives under conditions of low
39. The bacterial chromosome is
40. Which of the following is an example of sanitization?
41. Aseptic means
42. Which of the following is a sterilizing agent?
43. The process of filtration is a(n)
44. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of a genus name?
45. Acidic dyes
46. All of the following are associated with smear preparation Question
47. The Gram stain works because of differences in the ____ of bacteria.
48. The metabolic processes called fermentation
49. Which of the following is an incorrect pairing?
50. Who discovered penicillin?
BIOS 242 Week 4 Midterm Exam
- Institution(s): Devry
- Year Published: 2021
- Digital Download: Instant