You are the administrator on call for Hospital A and are responsible for accepting and rejecting patients. You receive a call at 2:00 a.m. from Health Hospital B regarding a patient with a severed ear.
The ED physician is calling to arrange an EMTALA-qualified transfer from his hospital to yours, but the ENT physician on call at your hospital is refusing to accept the transfer, stating that the patient does not need a higher level of care.
You call your ENT on call, and he admits he has just had three glasses of wine and will not be available for about 6 hours. You electronically send him the record that Health Hospital B would send with the patient. The ENT physician advises that the ear looks salvageable and could easily be sutured in any ED. The ED physician at Health Hospital B is very nervous about the possibility of an EMTALA violation.
Write a 1,000-1,250 word paper in which you analyze a scenario using the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA).
- If you decide to reject the patient, is this a violation of EMTALA? Explain.
- What decision will you make as the administrator? Explain.
- Based on this scenario, what could be implemented to prevent this type of situation from occurring in the future?
- Under what scenario would the Hospital A physician be concerned about an EMTALA situation?
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
HLT 520 Week 4 Assignment | EMTALA Scenario Analysis
- Institution(s): Grand Canyon
- Year Published: 2022
- Digital Download: Instant
Tags: HLT 520, HLT 520 Week 4 Assignment, HLT 520 Week 4 Assignment EMTALA Scenario Analysis, HLT 520 Topic 4 Assignment EMTALA Scenario Analysis, HLT 520 Topic 4 Assignment Decide to reject the patient, is this a violation of EMTALA.