Slavery will hone your abilities to search and compile a response to the prompts provided below by describing the dynamics of slavery. Although slavery had existed among African peoples prior to the European slave trade, the status of slaves in Africa was much different than that of slaves as a result of the trade. The condition of the latter took a different path from the start. The transition of this status in the colonies is illustrated through primary sources as seen with several Acts of the Virginia Commonwealth. Research suggests that British North America saw the economic benefit of slavery and adopted “the Peculiar Institution” with slavery at the heart of their success. However, different viewpoints on slavery would soon lead to one of the greatest conflicts on American soil – the American Civil War.
Locate the webpage Acts of the Virginia Commonwealth on the PBS site Slavery and the Making of America: The Slave Experience. Use the following keywords in your search: acts of Virginia Commonwealth slave experience. Read the information on this page. Feel free also to locate and incorporate additional scholarly sources to respond to this case study.
Construct the case study by responding to the following prompts:
1. Describe in what ways the practice of slavery was different between Africans and Europeans?
2. Explain how the length of service of slaves (servants being brought into the colony without indentures or covenants) change between 1642 and 1705?
3. How was the status of children born to slaves by white men determined?
4. Describe in what ways were slaves treated similarly to property (regarding the right of possession, damage to property, etc.)?
5. As the author of the Declaration of Independence, analyze Jefferson’s viewpoint of slavery and abolition of slavery.
Make sure to cite and reference sources. Make sure that the writing is clear, well developed, and free from spelling and grammatical errors. Please note that part of your grade is to include a documented example of the primary source.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
• Length: 2-3 pages (not including title page or references page)
• 1-inch margins
• Double spaced
• 12-point Times New Roman font
• Title page
• References page
• Use in-text citations that correspond with your end references
Slavery Case Study Solution
The practice of slavery was different between Africans and Europeans in many very different ways. According to Portcities Bristol, the European form of slavery was referred to as chattel slavery. It goes on to say, that a chattel slave is a piece of property, with no rights. This was much different than slavery in Africa. In Africa Portcities Bristol sates, “A slave might be . . .
HIST 405N Week 1 Case Study | Slavery
- Institution(s): Chamberlain
- Year Published: 2022
- Digital Download: Instant