Topic 3: Ethical Communication Between Patients and Professionals
When examining the communication between a medical professional and a patient, it is important to see a real-world example of what that communication looks like. Please examine the example of a basic patient informed consent form for the common surgical procedure of gallbladder removal entitled, "Gallbladder - Cholecystectomy With Common Duct Exploration (Laparoscopic) (Cholecystectomy With Possible Common Duct Exploration [Laparoscopic])," located in your readings for this topic and answer the following questions in a paper of 1,000-1,200 words:
- Based on what you have learned about the Patients' Bill of Rights and Autonomy, do you believe this basic patient consent form adequately informs patients of their medical rights? Explain your answer in detail and use a reference for support.
- Would the basic consent form for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy be understood by the average person in the United States with a reading ability of a typical 8th grader? Explain your answer.
- Describe at least three steps health care providers can take in order to ensure patients understand their care as well as prepare them to give acceptable consent for the procedure.
- Discuss the patient's right to terminate care with a health care professional. Identify the steps a patient would take to terminate care. Explain the ethical components that would take place in that process.
Include at least three scholarly, peer-reviewed references from the GCU Library to support your positions.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
BS Health Care Administration
5.1: Practice unbiased communication and decision-making in health care by recognizing and respecting the diversity of patients and populations.
5.4: Practice ethical behavior and moral decision-making when resolving ethical dilemmas.
HLT 305 Topic 3 Assignment | Benchmark - Autonomy and Ethical Principles of Care
- Institution(s): Grand Canyon
- Year Published: 2022
- Digital Download: Instant
Tags: HLT 305, HLT 305 Topic 3 Assignment, HLT 305 Topic 3 Assignment Autonomy and Ethical Principles of Care, HLT 305 Topic 3 Benchmark, HLT 305 Topic 3 Patients' Bill of Rights and Autonomy, HLT 305 Topic 3 consent form for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy.
All members who signed up before 2023 are requested to register again.