The Use of Sweeteners and the Rise in Obesity
The week 2 iLab will challenge you as it has to do with sweeteners and obesity. Current research has shown that there may be a relationship between the consumption of sweeteners and the rise in obesity so, this will be an opportunity to examine that facts and develop an position.
Scenario/Summary: Please select one of the following sweeteners:
- Sugar (sucrose)
- High Fructose Corn Syrup
- Ace K
- Or another one you can find on your own
Deliverables: Answer the following questions about the sweetener you have selected:
- Select a sweetener
- Explore the history of the sweetener (include all of the back ground on this ingredient-when it was discovered, its composition by whom it was discovered, its chemical makeup, its first use, its sweetening capabilities and what foods it can be used in).
Note: There are 4 attachments in this digital product on the four above mentioned topics.
Week 2 Lab: Carbohydrates
- Discuss the role of carbohydrates in the body. Where are carbohydrates found? Discuss the daily recommendations for carbohydrates in adults based on the RDA? If someone is active, do these recommendations change?
- Create a daily meal plan to include 3 meals and 1 snack (feel free to use your typical intake). Identify the sources of carbohydrates in this meal plan. Would this meal plan be low, moderate or high in carbohydrates compared to the RDA?
- Examine the relationship (if there is one) between carbohydrate intake and obesity. Make sure to include research-based statements from reliable sources. What tips would you provide someone when consuming carbohydrates to avoid weight gain?
Week 2 Lab: High Fructose Corn Syrup
- The What, How, and When’s
Week 2 Lab: Stevia
- What is Stevia?
- Fun Facts:
- Stevia against Obesity:
Week 2 Lab: Sugar (Sucrose)
- Sugar/sucrose occurs naturally in fruits, vegetables and nuts:
- The link between Sugar, Obesity and Heart Issues:
- Sugar and good Health:
SCI 228 Week 2 Lab | Carbohydrates | High Fructose Corn Syrup | Stevia | Sugar
- Institution(s): Devry
- Year Published: 2021
- Digital Download: Instant
Tags: SCI, SCI 228, SCI 228 Week 2, SCI 228 Week 2 Lab, SCI 228 Week 2 Lab The Use of Sweeteners and the Rise in Obesity, Week 2 Lab: Carbohydrates, Week 2 Lab: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Week 2 Lab: Stevia, Week 2 Lab: Sugar/Sucrose, consumption of sweeteners.